Saturday, October 10, 2009

Chicken Tagine with Chickpeas

Chicken Tagine with Chickpeas with Brown Rice, Baked Sweet Potatoes and Salad

3 lbs. chicken (I used breast and thigh meat)
6 tbsp. unsalted butter
6 c. chopped onions
3/4 c. scallions
7 cups of cooked chickpeas (1 bag of dry chickpeas)
3 c. of water
3 tbsp. minced garlic
3 tsp. ground ginger
1.5 tsp black pepper
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon

Baked Sweet Potatoes

1 dozen sweet potatoes

Brown Rice

Salad

lettuce
tomato
cucumber
carrots

The night before, I soaked the chickpeas. In the morning, I cooked the chickpeas and chopped the onions and scallions. Around 3:30, I began cooking in earnest by browning the chicken parts. Then I cooked the onions and scallions until they were tender. I stirred in the chickpeas, water, garlic, and spices, and chicken. Once this came to a boil, I turned the heat down to simmer and let it cook for about 45 minutes.

In the meantime, I cooked the brown rice. Scrubbed the sweet potatoes and put them into a pre-heated oven. At about 4:30, I prepared the salad.

The sweet potatoes took a lot longer to bake than I anticipated. I wonder if they cook slower when there are so many of them in the oven.

By 5 PM, I was able to start packing everything in containers, and I was out the door by 5:20.

No comments:

Post a Comment