Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Chicken Enchilladas with Black Bean and Corn Salad by Jennifer

Ok, this meal has turned out to be waaaayyyy more time consuming and expensive than I planned it to be! It is fun though to experiment and get creative sometimes, so I think I might start doing a fancy week and then alternate in a simple meal week. After all that went into this one, we might be having spaghetti from a jar next week! : )

Ok, Chicken Enchiladas:
meat from 2 whole chickens
2 onions
4 green peppers
2 carrots, peeled and grated
1 cup sprouted seeds (onion or sesame) (I had to leave these out because I couldn't find them anywhere)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp oregano
1 Tbsp cumin
18 corn tortillas
2 cups Colby Jack cheese
8 cups enchilada sauce
avocados for garnish

Dice chicken and mix with onion, pepper, carrot, sprouts and spices. Stir in one cup enchilada sauce. (It then says to fry the tortillas until soft, but I left this part out. I've done it before and it just takes way too long. It is extra delicious though...) place small amount of chicken mixture in tortilla and roll up, place in dish. (Can be made ahead and frozen at this point.) Bake at 325 degrees until steaming.

Red Enchilada sauce: ( I made this times 10)
4 oz whole dried Ancho chilies
1/4 cup olive oil
1 med onion
1 tsp cumin
2 cups stock
2 cloves garlic
2 small cans tomato paste
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar

Saute onion in oil, add cumin and cook until well combined. Add stock and chilies (cleaned of stems and seeds) and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, add garlic, tomato paste and vinegar. Simmer covered for about 45 mintues, then pass through a food mill (I used a hand mixer instead)

Corn and Black bean salad:

2 cups black beans
2 cups fresh corn
2 jalapeno peppers
1 red onion ( I used yellow)
1 cup basic dressing

Mix all ingredients, chill before serving

Basic dressing:

1 tsp dijion mustard
2 Tbsp plus 1 tsp red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp flax oil (I left this out because we didn't have any)

Mix all together!

Whew, this was an undertaking. I love the idea of cooking by "Nourishing Traditions" all of the time, but I would spend every waking minute in the kitchen! I think a small amount of opening cans and dumping in is quite alright... : )

1 comment:

  1. Well evidently the reason it took so long and so many ingredients is because I made enough for an army. Seriously. I made almost double the recipie for the enchilladas and it was enough for all four of us (our casserole was much bigger) then two more huge casseroles in the freezer and two lunch's worth in the freezer. Good grief!

    ReplyDelete