Tuesday, October 13, 2009

10/11 Meal: Chicken Parmesan, Sauteed Zucchini, and Corn

Ingredients: flattened chicken breasts, ground flax seed or GF bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, dried oregano, garlic powder, Italian dressing, pasta sauce, and mozzarella cheese.

For the coating, mix about 1/4 C. ground flax seed meal, 1/4 C. Parmesan cheese, 1/2 t. oregano, and 1/2 t. garlic. Dredge the chicken into the Italian Dressing, then the coating, making sure it's all covered. Place into a greased baking pan, and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until chicken is almost done. Take it out of the oven and top with pasta sauce and mozzarella cheese. Put it back into the oven for about 5minutes more until chicken is done and cheese is melted.

Sauteed Zucchini

Slice 2 zucchini and 1 red or orange bell pepper. Chop up 4 cloves of garlic. Add 2 or 3T. of olive oil to a skillet and saute the garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add the veggies and saute until soft. Served sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.

I got this recipe from my sister's gluten free blog: www.easilyglutenfree.wordpress.com

I baked the chicken in two 9X13 dishes instead of our shared Pyrex so that when I delivered, the dishes wouldn't be too hot. The zucchini took no time at all to chop since it's softer. I used kitchen shears to cut up the bell peppers, which saved time and seemed easier than chopping. I used 9 medium sized zucchini, 2 red and 2 orange bell peppers, and 11 chicken breasts. I thought I was getting 12 chicken breasts, but the package had one less. It was still plenty for everyone. I need to pay more attention to how much I spend on these meals so I can report it here. I'll try to remember next week.

Preparing and cooking this was easier than I was expecting and very good! I wish my sister would have shared this recipe with me sooner!

1 comment: