Saturday, October 10, 2009

Chicken and Broccoli Casserole for 10/13

Chicken and Broccoli Casserole

Roasted Red Potatoes

Salad

I'm going to make the Creamed Chicken the night before. My recipe calls for 1/2 cup of flour, but I'm going to try using 1/4 cup of cornstarch instead. (A blurb on the side of my cornstarch box says this will be an acceptable substitution.)

Creamed Chicken

3 lb skinless chicken breast
4 c. chicken stock
stick of butter (!-I might use less.)
1/4 c. corn starch
3 c. of milk (the recipe calls for whole milk, but I'll try 1%)
lemon juice
pepper
nutmeg

Put the chicken in a dutch oven with chicken stock. (This will be the first time I've ever used my dutch oven.) Pour in just enough water to cover the pieces. Bring to a simmer over high heat, then reduce the heat so the liquid barely bubbles. Cook 8 to 12 minutes (until the chicken releases clear juices.) Cut or shred the meat into bite-sized pieces.

Melt butter in a sauce pan. Whisk in corn starch. Then add chicken stock, then milk. Whisk constantly. Remove pan from heat, scrape inside of the sauce pan with wooden spoon. Return to heat and cook one minute. Stir in chicken with several drops of lemon juice, pepper, and nutmeg.

I think I should probably also roast the potatoes the night before. I might do this in what would have normally been my dinner preparation time on Monday evening.

On Tuesday, I'll prepare the casserole and make a salad. I'll probably try to chop the broccoli in the morning or the night before if I have time.

Chicken and Broccoli Casserole

Creamed Chicken
6 c. chopped broccoli
1 c. Parmesan Cheese

Position rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter 2 13 X 9 baking dishes.

Steam broccoli for 5 minutes. Then rinse it in cold water. Spread the broccoli in the buttered dishes and top with the creamed chicken. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake 25 to 35 minutes.

The cost, not including items I had around the house (Parmesan cheese, butter) was $26.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Was that carrots and fennel in with the potatoes? We could have used a bit more, but it was tastey!

    ReplyDelete