Sunday, July 11, 2010

Squash Fritters, Summer Millet Salad, and Marinated Chickpeas

I have resolved not to turn my oven on again until October, so I went in search of summer recipes. I dug out a classic that I got from my pre-co-op days when I got my organic veggies from Greenling. I had to make a minor adaptation to make it GF.

Squash Fritters

1 lb summer squash
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. lemon zest
10 sprigs parsley
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 c. GF flour (I improvised from what I had in my freezer, which was 3 parts white rice flour, 1 part potato starch, and a smattering of xanthan gum)

I'll abbreviate the instructions to say that you mix all these things together and fry 'em up real good in some vegetable oil. Be sure to get the oil nice and hot before putting anything in.

Summer Millet Salad

Apparently, millet's most common use is as birdseed, but I think it is worth incorporating into the gluten free diet. Eaten plain, I prefer it to quinoa, and it substitutes nicely for couscous. I tried making a baby cereal out of it, too, because it is a very digestible grain, but I didn't grind it well enough and it was a little too chunky.

1 c. hulled millet
2 c. water
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. chopped fresh basil
1/4 c. red onions, chopped
1 c. green peas
1/4 tsp. lemon juice
2 ripe tomatoes, diced
salt and pepper

In a pot, stir together millet, water and salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Fluff and set aside uncovered for 10 minutes.

Blanch the peas. Stir together ingredients basil through salt and pepper. Mix with millet.

Marinated Chickpeas

1 1/2 c. cooked chickpeas
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 tsp. fresh dill, minced
1/4 tsp. fennel seeds
black pepper

Combine ingredients and let it sit in the fridge for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment