Sunday, July 25, 2010

Plum Bars


These are delicious! Think Fig Newton, but lots more fruit and a WAY more delicious crust, and best of all, totally gluten free! I got this recipe out of "Nourishing Traditions" cookbook:

3 cups dried apricots (I used dried plums, yes you got it, prunes, because I just bought some at Costco and they are sooooooo good! I think you could use any dried fruit.)
1/2 cup sugar (I use the evaporated cane juice)
2 cups almonds
5/8 cup softened butter, or coconut oil
1 1/2 cups flour (I used oat flour: 2 cups oats in the food processor until it becomes a powder)
1/2-3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp almond extract (I used vanilla, because I had it!)

Cook dried plums in water until tender.
Meanwhile, process almonds to a powder in a food processor. add remaining ingredients and process until smooth. Press 2/3 of the almond mixture into a buttered 9 x 13 pyrex pan, making a thin crust. Bake about 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
While the crust is baking, remove the cooked fruit with a slotted spoon to food processor and process with 1/2 cup sugar. Set aside and let cool.
Spread the fruit mixture over the crust and crumble the remaining 1/3 almond mixture over the top. Bake at 325 for about 45 minutes. Let cool before cutting into bars. ( I found that the crust was much too crumbly even after it cooled, so I stuck it in the fridge for a bit and they stuck together nicely and the coolness was oh oh so good!)

This makes 24 bars.

Nutrition Facts

Plum Bars

24 Servings

Amount Per Serving
Calories196.2 Total Fat9.0 g Saturated Fat3.3 g Polyunsaturated Fat1.3 g Monounsaturated Fat3.9 g Cholesterol12.2 mg Sodium83.6 mg Potassium232.3 mg Total Carbohydrate28.7 g Dietary Fiber3.0 g Sugars18.9 g Protein3.0 g

1 comment:

  1. That actually sounds really good, but man Oh man, that is a whole lot of calories for a bar......

    ReplyDelete