Saturday, May 15, 2010

Chicken and Rice soup, Cornbread

This actually turned out pretty good I thought!

I made the broth ahead of time, boiling the bones of a chicken with an onion quartered, about 4 big carrots broken into a couple of pieces, 4 stalks of celery, 5 or 6 cloves of garlic and about 4 quarts of water for 30 minutes, then turning down the heat and simmering it for 4 or so hours. For the last thirty minutes I threw a bunch of parsley into the water. then I strained all of the solids out and let the broth sit until the fat all floated to the top and solidified, then I scooped it off and was left with a great, healthy simple chicken broth that has WAY more flavor and nutrition than anything you can buy at the store!

To that I added in about a half of bag of carrots chopped up, the meat from 2 rotisserie chickens. in another pan I sauteed one onion and 4 stalks of celery with 6 more minced cloves of garlic until they were soft and aromatic. I dumped those into the soup and left it all to simmer together for about 2 hours. For the last 30 minutes I chopped up another bunch of parsley and a handful of fresh oregano from my flower bed, and tossed them into the pot with a very generous sprinkling of salt.

The cornbread was again a mix from Bob's Red Mill, which I think is super great. I think next time I make it though I'll add a couple of tablespoons of sugar, because I like by cornbread a bit on the sweeter side!

No comments:

Post a Comment