Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Korean Beef Skewers with Ginger Carrots and Rice


Ginger Carrots:
4 cups grated carrots
1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
1 tablespoon sea salt
4 Tbsp whey (if not available, use additional Tbsp salt)

Mix all ingredients and pound to release juices. Place in a quart sized jar and press down until juices cover the carrots. Cover tightly and leave at room temp for about 3 days before transferring to fridge. (I didn't read this recipe carefully enough to have it made 3 days in advance, so ours only sat for 24 hours. I think it is supposed to taste a bit more like sourcraut since it is considered a fermented vegetable dish, but I tasted it and it was still good, if a bit salty.)

Korean Beef Skewers:

Slice steak as thinly as possible, across the grain. Mix other ingredients in and marinate beef in the mixture, refridgerated overnight or for several hours. Ribbon strips onto skewers, and grill 5 or 7 minutes on each side.

I didn't do a very good job of trimming the fat off of the meat, so if you get a chewy piece just spit it out and please accept my apologies!

I cooked the rice in vegetable broth instead of water to give it more flavor, and because I needed to use it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment