Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ham and Cheese Pan Souffle

This was really yummy, kind of like a huge country breakfast all piled up together.  I have to say though, to cook 6 of them plus clean up I was working hard hard hard for about 3 hours, so it was quite a bit of work, so I would recommend only making it for one family at a time!  It is also for sure not a diet meal, so serve it with a salad or some fruit to lighten it up a bit.

2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
6 large eggs, separated
2 cups provolone cheese ( I used a combination of provolone and monterry jack)
1 Tbsp flour ( I used rice flour)
ground pepper
olive oil
1 onion, halved, thinly sliced
2 anaheim peppers, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
1/4 lb ham cut into cubes ( I used Kiolbassa beef sausage)
1 tsp paprika
2 Tbsp fresh parsley
1 clove garlic, minced

1. Preheat oven to 400.  Cover potatoes with water in a pot, season with salt, cover and boil until just tender, about 2 minutes, drain
2. Whisk egg yolks, cheese and flour and pepper in a bowl. ( I learned to first whisk the eggs flour and pepper together then stir in the cheese as it is difficult to whisk cheese!)
3.  Heat an oven proof skillet over high heat.  Add 2 Tbsp olive oil, then onion and chillis and cook until browned.  Add the ham and cook 3 minutes.  Transfer the mixture to a bowl.  Add the remining 2 Tbsp olive oil and te potatoes to the skillet and cook until golden, 4 minutes. Add the paprika, parsley and garlic and cook one minute.  Transfer to the same bowl.
4.  Beat egg whites, 2 Tbsp water and 1/2 tsp salt with a mixer until soft peaks form.  Stir one third whites into the yolk mixture, then gently fold in the rest.  Oil the skillet if dry and place over medium low heat.  Add the egg mixture, cover and cook until the top just sets, 4-6 minutes.  Top with the filling and transfer to the oven uncovered until set, 5-7 minutes.

So what took me so long is that I only had one cast iron skillet that could go from the stove top to the oven, so I had to make them all one at a time.  If I had a large skillet, or everyone was eating out of the same dish it would have been so quick.  I also learned at the very end that I could have, once the souffle set on the stove top, flip it into a pyrex and then put the toppings on the bottom of it, and bake it then.  It was pretty hard to transfer each souffle into its own dish after it was topped and baked... anyhow, just notes for next time!

Per serving (this recipe serves 4) Calories: 641 Fat 44g (saturated 19 g), Cholesterol 373mg, Sodium 1215 mg, Carbohydrate 32 g, Fiber 4 g, Protein 32 g  ( I told you this was not a diet food!)

No comments:

Post a Comment