Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Orange Chicken with hash, Creamy Carrot soup

I thought this turned out well! For the chicken:

I used chicken thighs, the recipe called for 8 but I doubled it.
6 Tbsp orange marmalade (it called for apricot jam, but I had orange so I used it, but I added about 3 Tbsp of honey to counteract the bitterness)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 lbs red potatoes
1 large red pepper
4 green onions

Put the chicken in a large bowl and pour the soy sauce over it and let it sit while you do the rest.
Mix the jelly, lemon juice and honey (if using) in a small bowl. Place chicken and soy sauce in a baking dish and cover with the jelly mixture. Cook at 425 for about 15 minutes. Cut the potatoes and peppers into small pieces. Put the potatoes in a microwave safe bowl and cook on high for about 5 minutes with about 1/4 cup of water. Heat a bit of oil in a large pan, then add the red pepper. Cook about 5 minutes, then add in potatoes and green onions. Cook until potatoes are soft and slightly browned. When chicken is done, serve with potato mixture and top with some of the juices from the pan.

Creamy Carrot Soup:
2 lbs of carrots ( I used about 7 lbs and adjusted everything accordingly)
4-8 cups chicken broth (I used homemade, and how much depends on how thick you want your soup. When this was originally done it reminded me of thin baby food, so I added about twice the liquid needed and liked the consistancy much more.)
2 tsp ground corriander
1 large shallot
1 large baking potato

Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a pan and cook the thinly cut shallot until soft and fragrant. Add in the carrots (cut into small pieces) and potato (cut into small pieces), the ground corriander, some salt and pepper, and cook, stirring 5-7 minutes until slightly softened. Add in chicken broth, bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.

The recipe said to now transfer in small batches to a blender, but I used a hand emulsifier stuck down into the pot to avoid dirtying extra dishes. I blended it up until is was smooth, then added salt and pepper until I liked it.

I then added 1 cup of cream to the pot (of course my batch was almost x 4, so you could use much less in a smaller recipe) just to add some yumminess, and well, cream adds yumminess to everything!
I hope ya'll enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment