Monday, February 15, 2010

Veggie Enchilladas with Mexican rice and Black Beans

I sauteed two onions, added in 4 green peppers and 4 cloves of garlic, 4 yellow squash and 5 zuchinni and two packages of mushrooms. I added some salt (just poured it in) 3 or so Tbsp of cumin, a few sprinkles of chili powder and some red chili flakes. I also added some roasted poblano peppers although they mostly dissolved when I accidentally left them in the broiler too long.

the enchillada sauce:
Red Enchilada sauce: (this was leftover frozen from the last time I made enchilladas)
4 oz whole dried Ancho chilies
1/4 cup olive oil
1 med onion
1 tsp cumin
2 cups stock
2 cloves garlic
2 small cans tomato paste
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar

Saute onion in oil, add cumin and cook until well combined. Add stock and chilies (cleaned of stems and seeds) and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, add garlic, tomato paste and vinegar. Simmer covered for about 45 mintues, then pass through a food mill (I used a hand mixer instead)

I layered corn tortillas (which I baked in the oven to get the crispy... a lot of recipies call for them to be fried first, but that takes too long/adds too much fat/is a mess, so I baked them.) With the veggie mixture, cheese (I left it out of ours : ( ) and sauce.

The rice I cooked up with some rotel tomato sauce, cilantro and cumin, and added black beans on the side.

Enjoy!

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment