Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Ratatouille

I'm not sure what makes this ratatoullie and not vegetable spagetti, but the recipe said that was its name, so there ya go!

I sliced 4 yellow squash and 4 zuchinni in my handy dandy stand mixer slicer. Man I love that thing. I also cut up 5 red peppers in to bite sized pieces. Roast squashes and peppers in olive oil and a bit of salt for about 30 minutes, or until peppers are tender. There were supposed to be 4 onions cut up in the roasted vegetables, but I forgot them : ). The recipe called for cut up whole tomatoes, but I don't like tomatoes very much, so I used 5 cans of tomato sauce, and two whole heads of garlic, minced. Add these things, plus some salt and 2 tsp of thyme to a sauce pan and simmer until it thickens. I think i needed to cook mine a little longer... maybe that would have been the difference between it tasting like spagetti sauce and being a different dish. Anyhow, once the sauce cooked a while I added it in with the veggies and that was it!

I grilled the chicken after I sprinkled it with salt, pepper, cumin and rosemary, then layered it with the rice and veggies and topped with some fresh basil.

Verdict: not the best dish in the whole world, but all in all pretty tasty and healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment